Subscribe to our newsletter
Starting Well Aims
Early Detection and Intervention of Mental Health Problems in CYP through:
- Identifying screening strategies for CYP at particular risk.
- Identifying critical periods for delivery of intervention.
- Help to shape targeted, preventative and developmentally appropriate interventions.
Starting Well Sub-themes
- Severe mental health problems in adolescence
- Neurodevelopmental difficulties (ADHD/ASC)
- School-based interventions
- Seldom heard groups of young people and placed-based approach.
During our first year of operation, we funded a number of Covid-19 related research programmes these include:
- DisCOVery - psychological impact of Covid-19 on children and young people in high risk and hard to reach groups
- How can services best support care leavers to move on after lockdown? Co-produced guidance and messages
- “Zoom or Room” – comparing in person and on-line interventions.
Some examples of other areas of work we have supported this year includes:
- Supporting Surrey County Council to draw out the views of over 2,000 children and young people across Surrey.
- Researching the challenges faced by voluntary and community sector delivering mental health services across Sussex during COVID-19 which we have fed into the Reset and Recovery Programme.
- Spreading innovation through technology and new pathways by supporting the Academic Science Network (AHSN) to roll out ADHD and early intervention eating disorders for 16-25 year olds national programmes across Kent, Surrey and Sussex.
- Working with YMCA and Sussex Partnership Foundation Trust (SPfT) to support roll out of E-Wellbeing across Sussex.
- Mapped local children’s mental health services, demographic data and voice and participation activity to help inform future research.
- Mapped current and pipeline CYP mental health research across KSS.
- We are working with schools, national stakeholders and The University of Sussex as well as close collaboration with East of England ARC to deliver a best practice review and evaluation of whole school approach to mental health support teams in schools.