PCIE ensures research is relevant and focuses on outcomes that are important to people:
- Involvement often leads to an improvement in the quality of the work being done.
- Funders are increasingly expecting and even requiring public involvement plans to be included in proposals and applications.
- Public members can add a different perspective based on their personal experiences.
- Public members can link with specific communities or groups they are involved with, enabling you to tailor your research to their needs. These connections can improve how you communicate and increase your cultural competence, improving recruitment and retention.
- Public members can advise you on how to disseminate your findings more widely.
A democratic and moral consideration is that people who are affected by research have a right to have a say in what and how publicly funded research is undertaken